Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Winter Break Blog Reaction (Mirror by Sylvia Plath)


Reading this poem the first time for me was kind of just reading it for fun, because I really like Sylvia Plath, and it was much more geared toward philosophy and interpreting it artistically than really analyzing it and understanding what was going on. I tried answering the questions after reading it the first time and discovered that I may be thinking about it too hard (I figured the answers must have been more straight forward/literal, than interpretive.). I thought mostly about these abstract ideas the poem was giving (like it being a little eye of god, which is beautiful language tbh) and how the woman felt, rather than, like I mentioned previously, what was actually going on. It's not that I didn't understand the poem, but that I did that thing that our class has a tendency to do, where I went straight into how it related to society.
The second time reading I tried to focus on what was literally going on, the actual actions. The TP-CASTT chart helped a lot with this, because it made it easier to pick apart the poem and analyze every single aspect. it made answering the questions a lot easier too, since I had a more literal interpretation of what was being stated. (I still don't know what it means when it says it's a lake, since I'm pretty sure later it references the lady coming in and turning the light on in the room again, but yeah, everything else made a lot more sense.)

The questions that were the easiest for me were actually the ones where you had to read the poem more literally (like one question asked what "the face replaces the darkness" meant and I thought that was easier) as well as ones involving like vocabulary and how it's used. the questions I had the hardest time with were ones regarding like the form of the poem, like it's rhyme scheme and patterns and meter and such. I still need a lot of work with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment